Choose your scenario: End of Civilized Society or Super Strict Gun Laws. You have to choose one rifle caliber to see you and yours through the tough times ahead. What’s it going to be? The easily carried and plentiful .22? The battle ready 7.62×39? The hunter’s go-to choice of 30.06? A hard-hitting .308? Maybe it’s a 30-30 just so you can have the cool lever-action?
This exercise isn’t just for fun, it’s actually important to know your ammo and understand which calibers may be better for various situations. I know a number of guys that have had a lot of different guns over their lifetime. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but if you are planning on stocking up on ammo or just saving money, you’ve got to choose a caliber.
Here are some questions to ask that may help:
- What is the availability of ammo now?
- What will the availability of ammo be?
- How easily repaired or replaced is my chosen rifle?
- Am I going for defense or hunting?
- What is the average size of game you’ll be taking down?
- What type (HP, SP, MC) and what grain?
Deciding on a caliber for all-around hunting is important too, not just for the end times. While you may currently hunt in thick brush shooting small whitetails at no more than 150 yards, you may want to plan for longer range and larger game when purchasing a rifle and\or scope, just in case the opportunity arises.
- Fireside Topic articles are interesting topics to get men talking. Find a few friends and throw a question out there and see what develops. Read more here. -